Posted on March 10, 2011 by Monica Valentinelli
Can’t believe a year has gone by since Leanne, Shari and I released The Queen of Crows, but there it is. This turned out to be an interesting endeavor, and taught us a lot about how e-books have a long way to go in terms of development. One of the first enhanced e-books to hit the web, it spent months in the top spot on DriveThruHorror.com and has had several positive reviews. Unfortunately, it couldn’t be offered for the Kindle and other e-readers due to its image-heavy formatting unless we stripped out all the art, which is what we eventually did.
Since that release, I’ve been pursuing publication of short stories and other works over the past year. I’d like to share some of that news with you here. In honor of Read an e-book Week, links will primarily point to the digital version.
- The Message at Bewildering Stories – This piece of flash fiction was recently published here. It’s science fiction and has a hidden message within the message.
- Tomorrow’s Precious Lambs in The Zombie Feed, Volume 1 – I’ve got a short story coming out in an upcoming anthology that you can pre-order. This particular story takes place in a world where zombies do come out to play, but only at nighttime.
- Fangs and Formaldehyde in New Heroes anthology – The Table of Contents for this new anthology from Stone Skin Press has just been announced, and I’ve got a vampire story in this one alongside several other fine authors.
- Lady Yellowbird and the Flight of the Sad Panda – Released this on Smashwords as a ninety-nine cent download in response to our charged political climate here. Wrote this well before events happened and readers were asking for it when I mentioned I had penned a dystopian science fiction story where a retire schoolteacher decided to take one last stand.
- Scenes of the Embrace for Vampire: The Requiem – This came out earlier this year and is designed to facilitate that pivotal moment in your character’s life. Eddy and I also wrote some design notes for Scenes of the Embrace here at FlamesRising.com.
- The Saint, the Pickpocket and the Manticore in Daily Bites of Flesh: 365 Days of Horrifying Flash Fiction – This unique anthology offers readers the chance to get a story a day in really bite-size pieces. Mine was inspired after reading about salt mines in Poland.
There’s more to come, on the fiction and the gaming front, but these are some of the highlights. Hope you get the chance to check out some of my work. Thanks!